1.25.2006

Post-partum Training Plan

Opted to nap instead of going to yoga last night. But I did set up a training log on Cool Running, including the past few weeks of post-partum training history.

When I was pregnant, I searched in vain for pregnancy & post-partum training plans. I am here to tell you that (1) it can be done, and (2) you don't have to keep your heart-rate below 140! Chris Lundgren's Runner's World Guide to Running & Pregnancy was a great resource, but I had lost it in the pile of baby stuff when the time came to return to running, so I kinda felt my way through the first weeks back on the road.

My first day out, I planned to walk 5 minutes and run 1 -- a gentle reversal of Jeff Galloway's intervals for marathon distance-building. When I got out there, I realized I could run 3 min. at a time, with 3 min. recovery, so that's what I did.


My goal is to continue my current flat 3 mile route, increasing my run intervals up to 5 min. and my walks down to 1 min., then start building distance and adding hills back in. My trainer/friend Lisa has also designed a strenght work-out to counter the upper-body strain of breastfeeding and baby-hefting, and to rebuild the shoulder and abdominal muscles that I couldn't work out much during pregnancy.

1 comment:

Janice @ Mom On The Run said...

Good going! That's pretty much what I've been doing too - I'm now up to 5 min of running with 1 min walk. I *hope* to do a 5K in a month from now - maybe even with baby in the jogging stroller , afterall that would be fitting 'cause I did the same race with her in belly!