2.09.2006

Some Experience Preferred

We went back to that new moms' group today, and it went ok! Not only did Speedy not cry the entire time, but the other moms also shared things that made them sound... well... human. Apparently, we all have irrational fears spurred by the popular press (leaving the carseat on top of the car, etc.), get unsolicited advice from old ladies when our children fuss in public, and futilely hunt for crying babies in our bedclothes at 3 a.m., even though we don't co-sleep. (Okay, y'all, it's still funny, but it's not just me!)


Two weeks is a lot in baby and new-parent time, too. Speedy's tolerance for activity is higher -- he spent a good deal of time flirting with the other babies, trying to get one particularly surly 4-month old to smile back. And I've learned more about how to read him and keep him from doing off the deep end -- valuable knowledge for maybe the next 3 weeks of his current life-phase, I'm sure, but exciting nonetheless.

Ah, the Swadfather (a.k.a. Jesse, the fastest swaddler in the East) returns! This week has been a big one for realizing how my aesthetic has changed since having Speedy. Specifically, I now measure sex appeal by a man's ability to bounce my child to sleep, operate the stroller and install the carseat without my intervention, and surprise me with clean dishes. (As I write, the Swadfather informs me that he brought comfort food for the sickie: brownies and sweetened condensed milk for cafe con leche.)

No comments: