2.08.2006

Work with Me, Baby

Speedy & I went into the office yesterday to pick up materials for a safety program I'm putting together and install some trial landscaping software from NE Grows. After catching the wrong bus, walking longer than planned, and emergency nursing in the park by Town Hall (covered by a blanket -- not for modesty, but because it was so cold and windy), we arrived to the delight of Nana J, the office manager who "retired" this summer. We worked for 3 hours! This working mom thing might actually be possible.

I have been skeptical about working from home, ever since a cursory web search revealed that WAHM (work-at-home-mom) has come to mean specifically former SAHMs who now run one or many home-based entrepreneurial ventures, ranging from designing fabulous diaper covers to telemarketing. Moms who renegotiate their existing work to be home-based seem to have another name, which I have yet to discover. If anyone can enlighten me (or better yet, point me to resources), I'd be much obliged.

Encouragingly, my visiting mom, an architect, mentioned she recently found a photo of herself doing a site visit, in which her (now college-age) infant daughter is visible in a carseat on the kitcen counter. The sales rep at a local nursery also shared a story of taking her kids on site with her when she worked as a mason. She brags about hosing off mud-covered pacifiers, and about her daughter finding the perfect chinking pieces when she was a toddler!

No comments: