2.28.2006

Turning 30

I turned 30 yesterday. I thought it was no big deal, since having a baby accomplished in one fell swoop all that the 30s meant to me: stability; a shift of focus from activism and social life to family and work; losing my figure and gaining wrinkles. (I do have to wait for the 10 more years of worldly wisdom, though.) I was surprised, therefore, to start crying at my mom's funny card: close up of a dog, captioned, "At least you don't have that 'old person' smell."

In spite of the Swadfather throwing me a great surprise party on Sunday, Speedy and I spent yesterday being cranky together -- our moods were a chicken-and-egg sort of thing. In between crying bouts (his), I did manage to do a couple of hours' work, and to obsess a lot about the childcare situation. I can't and don't want to stay home with him full-time, but I am dreading leaving him with a stranger. Any wisdom out there?

One cool factoid from my work yesterday: OSHA regulations state that exposure to noise at 110 decibels for over 1/2 hour requires hearing protection. Any guesses how loud a baby's cry is? (I'll have to leave the sitter some earplugs.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday once again! I know hitting my 30s was a big deal for me in similar ways to what you say, even without the admixture of new parenthood (right away) and depression.

Maybe you can set up some kind of transition period where you have a childcare person with Speedy while you work from home, which might include your stepping out to O'Naturals or True Grounds or whereever. That might give you more of a feeling for who the provider is and how they are with Speedy before you leave him alone with that person.

We were doing something along these lines before R. lost her job and we stopped needing the childcare.

That said, it was definitely a challenge to not get involved and just let the childcare provider do her or his job and ...